The RISC OS Toolbox is a set of relocatable modules which hugely simplify the task of writing high-quality, desktop applications. Applications which use the Toolbox automatically comply with the RISC OS 3 Style Guide. Its characteristics are:
The publication User Interface Toolbox is the reference manual for the RISC OS Toolbox.
- it is easy to learn and use
- it is structured as a set of relocatable modules
- it will run on RISC OS 3.10 or later
- it does not directly call back to code in the client application
- it is SWI-driven
- it is language-independent and can be used from C, C++, BASIC or Assembler with equal ease
- communication back to the client application is via events
- the client application does not have direct access to data structures maintained by the Toolbox
- it uses a resource file format to hold templates for the user interface objects (Windows, menus, dialogue boxes, ...) which the application will use at run-time
Resource files are edited using the GUI (graphical user interface) editor ResEd.